Privacy & Cookies Policy
At De Beers Jewellers Limited, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Please read this policy carefully as it describes:-
- what personal information we collect from you or you provide to us;
- why we want your personal information;
- what we are going to do with it.
For the purpose of Data Protection Legislation, the data controller is De Beers Jewellers Limited, 45 Old Bond Street, London, W1S 4QT.
Please contact us by any of the following means:
- Phone us on: +44(0)207 893 8588
- Email us at: contact_UK@debeers.com
- Write to us at: De Beers Jewellers Limited, 45 Old Bond Street, London, W1S 4QT.
How and when is personal information collected?
We collect information from you or ask you to supply it to us in the following situations:-
- When you buy a De Beers product from us (Purchase Information);
- When we register a guarantee for a De Beers product (Guarantee Information);
- When we carry out servicing or repairs to a De Beers product for you (Repair Information);
- If you make a complaint to us (Complaint Information);
- When you ask us to provide information to you about services or products we offer (Marketing Information).
- When you visit a De Beers boutique and provide information regarding your personal or professional interests (Personalised Service).
Purchase, Repair and Guarantee Information
- We will collect your name, and payment method. We do not store your payment card details. This personal information is essential as we are entering into a contract with you for the purchase of the product. If you do not supply the personal information to us, we will not be able to enter into the contract with you.
- We will also ask you how you prefer us to contact you e.g. post, email, telephone, messaging or social media and we will ask you to supply your contact details so we may contact you in relation to your purchase. You do not have to provide an email address or telephone number, but it will make communication with you quicker and easier if you are able to supply this information.
- We will use your information to contact you about servicing and repairs to your De Beers product. If you do not wish to receive reminders about servicing, please advise our sales person when they ask you to supply contact information. We will also use the information we collect about you to conduct market research so that we can continuously improve the services we provide to our customers. You may also contact us subsequently by telephone or email here: Contact Us to ask us not to send you servicing reminders.In order to fulfill our service promise to you we will store this information for the length of the lifetime guarantee of the product.
- We will not use personal information collected from you in relation to your purchase or guarantee to send you marketing communications about new products or De Beers events unless you ask us to do so, either by completing a customer information card (paper or digital) or by signing up digitally via our website at www.debeers.co.uk.
- If you make a complaint to us, you will supply or we will collect your name, address and any other contact details you choose to supply to us. If your complaint relates to a product you have purchased from us, we will collect this information too. This information is required so that we may properly investigate your complaint. If you do not supply the personal information to us, we will most likely not be able to investigate your complaint.
- We will use your information to investigate your complaint and report to you on the outcome of our investigation.
- We will store your personal information for five (5) following your complaint or, if the information is already held under one of the other categories described in this policy, for the period referred to in the relevant part of this policy, whichever is the longer.
- We will not use personal information collected from you in relation to a complaint to send you marketing communications about new products or De Beers events unless you ask us to do so, either by completing a customer information card or by signing up digitally or via our website at www.debeers.co.uk
- Where you consent to receive marketing communications about new products or De Beers events from us – either by completing a customer information card or by signing up via our website – we will collect, use and store your personal information for the period of time set out below.
- We will collect your name and preferred contact details. Although there are spaces on the physical and electronic forms for your address, email address, messaging ids,and telephone number, you do not have to supply all of this information if you would prefer not to do so. If you do not provide us with this information, we will not be able to communicate effectively with you.
- We also ask you to supply the following information in order to personalise our service as much as possible:-
1. Your birthday and/or anniversary : this is so we may wish you a happy birthday and/or anniversary . You can choose whether or not to supply this information;
2. Your interests: this is so we can tailor our communications to match your interests. You can choose whether or not to supply this information;
3. Ring Size, Product of interest and Preferred language: this is so we can provide a personalized service for you.
- Where you have consented to receive marketing communications from us, we will use your information to contact you about De Beers’ products or events we believe may be relevant to you.
- We will store your personal information for two (2) years following your last interaction with us. At the end of that period, we will ask you if you wish us to continue to send you information about De Beers’ products and events. If we do not hear from you, your details will be removed from our marketing database. You may also telephone or email us here: Contact Us at any time to ask us to stop sending you marketing communications or you can simply click “unsubscribe” and follow the link to complete the unsubscribe process if you have consented to us communicating with you by email.
- Please note that removal from our marketing database will not result in removal from our other databases if e.g. you have purchased a De Beers product from us. In that case, your personal information will be retained as set out earlier in this policy.
Our Personalised Service
- We may record information about you when you visit a De Beers boutique in order to offer you a more personalised service, for example if you contact us with a query regarding a gift for a family member.
- If you do not want us to record this information please let your Brand Ambassador know or contact us.
Aggregation of Information
Where we collect personal information from you or you supply personal information to us under two or more of the categories set out in this policy, your personal information collected under each category will be aggregated. However:-
- We will not use your personal information to send you marketing communications about new products or De Beers events unless you ask us to do so;
- If you ask us to stop sending you marketing communications, we will also remove from our databases, any information you have voluntarily chosen to provide to us including your anniversary, birthday and your interests.
Why we process your personal data
We process your personal information for the following reasons:
- Pursuant to a contract in order to:
- provide you with our products and services;
- process payments;
- make deliveries;
- maintain business continuity;
- send communications essential to you receiving our products and services;
- record information to facilitate your rights under guarantee.
- On the basis of your consent:
- Where we rely on your consent for processing this will be brought to your attention when the information is collected from you;
- We will only contact you with direct marketing communications if you consent to us doing so and you have the right to withdraw consent at any time. See the Your Rights section below for more information.
- In our legitimate interests of providing the best service and improving and growing our business we will process information in order to:
- provide you with a personalised service globally;
- improve our products and services;
- understand our customer base and purchasing trends;
- defend against or exercise legal claims and investigate complaints; and
- understand the effectiveness of our marketing.
We will carry out analytics to improve our products and services as set out above.
You have the right to object to processing carried out for our legitimate interests. See the Your Rights section below for more information.
- To comply with legal requirements relating to:
- data protection;
- health and safety;
- anti-money laundering;
- fraud investigations;
- assisting law enforcement; and
- any other legal obligations placed on De Beers from time to time.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on the secure servers in our secure data centres with restricted access only to our personnel, these are located in the UK and Singapore due to our global footprint. Access to the systems that hold the data is granted to 3rd parties only after careful vetting and only for the purposes of maintenance and updating of the underlying software. In order to provide you with our global service, our local market teams may access the client database in order to assist you wherever in the world you choose to visit.
Disclosure of your information
Your data is processed by a 3rd party company assisting us with our marketing program. This processing is only carried out under explicit instruction by us for the purposes of data analysis in order to tailor our communications to you, all these communications are managed directly by us. We do not and will not transfer and/ or share your data to any other parties for any other purposes other than as set out in this policy.
You agree that we have the right to disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation or request.
- In order to protect our rights, property or safety or of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where processing of your personal data is based on consent, you can withdraw that consent at any time.
You have the following rights. You can exercise these rights at any time by contacting us here: Contact Us
You have the right:
- to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes;
- to ask us to supply free of charge the personal information we hold about you;
- to ask for the information we hold about you to be rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- to ask for information to be erased provided that:-
- the personal information is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected;
- you withdraw consent (if the legal basis for processing is consent);
- you exercise your right to object to any processing carried out in our legitimate interest where there are no overriding legitimate grounds for processing;
- the information is unlawfully processed;
- the information needs to be erased to comply with a legal obligation;
- to ask for the processing of information to be restricted if the accuracy of that information is contested, the processing is unlawful, the personal information is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or you exercise your right to object (pending verification of whether there are legitimate grounds for processing).
In the event that you are unhappy with our processing of your personal information, we encourage you to Contact us. However, at any time you have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority, which is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) in the UK. The ICO’s contact details are available here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
We use the following types of cookie:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests.
The cookies we use and why
|Strictly necessary cookies|
|This cookie is set by website content management system to remember the following:
Any items in your shopping bag;
|Google Analytics – this allows us to understand how visitors interact with our website and to improve our service||2 years|
|Google Analytics – this allows us to understand how visitors interact with our website and to improve our service||2 years|
|Google Analytics – this allows us to understand how visitors interact with our website and to improve our service||24 hours|
|Bing Advertising – this allows us to understand how visitors via Bing interact with our website||30 minutes|
|Tracks site navigation, responsiveness, and other metrics to help us improve visitors’ experience on our sites.||10 months|
|This allows us to measure our visitor frequency and whether visitors have created an account on the website||6 months|
|These are managed by ZopIM, who provide the technology behind our LiveChat service. The __zlcmid cookie allows you to continue your conversation with us as you view different pages on our site, or if you come back to the site at a later date.||1 year|
|This cookie is set if you choose to disable the live chat and the _zlcmid cookie is deleted.||9 months|
Third party cookies
Some of the cookies identified above are third party cookies. We work with other companies, such as search engine providers, so that we can learn more about our customers and provide a more personalised service. The table below further explains the third party cookies that are used on our website and their purposes. To learn more about how these third parties process information, follow the links in the table below to the third party privacy notice. If you wish to opt out of any of these cookies then please follow the links provided for information on opting out or change your browser settings as explained below.
|Third party||Purpose||Link to third party privacy notice|
|Bing||Bing allows us to build lists of users who have searched for certain terms and clicked on results using their search engines, so that we can target our advertising more effectively.||http://choice.microsoft.com/en-us/opt-out
|Facebook Custom Audiences||We use custom audience pixels to record information about the way visitors use our Website. This pixel records information about a user’s browser session, which it sends to Facebook, along with an anonymised version of the Facebook ID and the URL viewed. This allows us to target our Facebook ads to audiences of people who have visited our Website.||http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/|
|Google (AdWords Remarketing)||This cookie helps us to advertise De Beers across the internet, in particular on the Google Display network. Remarketing will display ads to you based on which product pages you have visited on the De Beers website by placing a cookie on your web browser. This cookie does not in any way identify you or give access to your computer or mobile device. The cookie is used to indicate to other websites that ‘this person visited a particular page, so show them ads relating to that page.’and allows us to tailor our marketing to better suit your needs and display ads that are relevant to you.||http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html|
|Google / Doubleclick||We use Google DoubleClick cookies to inform, optimise and serve ads based on a visitor’s previous visit to our Website and report how ad impressions, other uses of ad services and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our Website.||http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html|
|Google Analytics||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our Website. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the Website.||http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html|
|IP Label||For monitoring and improving the performance of our website.||. https://www.ip-label.co.uk/legal-information/
|New Relic||We use the New Relic service to monitor the performance of the website, its underlying systems and architecture.||https://newrelic.com/cookie-policy|
|Campaign Monitor||We also send emails using Campaign Monitor, which uses tracking technology. We use this information primarily to understand what subjects are interesting to our readers, by monitoring whether our emails are opened and what links are clicked on by our readers. We then use this information to improve the emails that we send to you.||https://www.campaignmonitor.com/policies/#privacy-policy|
How do I change my cookie settings?
Cookies can be controlled by your web browser settings. Whether our cookies are used will depend on your browser settings, so you are in control. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, please use the following links:
- Internet Explorer cookies information
- Chrome cookies information
- Firefox cookies information
- Safari cookies information
Please be aware that by blocking all cookies you may not be able to access or use all the features of our website and you will not receive a personalised service.